Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Out with the girls

I-Ju, Hiroko, and I went to lunch last week. The sun came out for just long enough for us to meet in one of the town squares and walk to have lunch at a Chinese restaurant. Hiroko selected two places and let us decide which one we wanted to try. I suggested that the French restaurants typically have things that they wouldn’t like (and sometimes I don’t like) and that the Chinese restaurant would probably be best. So one American, one Japanese, and one Taiwanese had lunch in a Chinese restaurant and all we could speak to each other in was French.

I hadn’t seen them in a few weeks since I no longer attend my French school. Hiroko has started going to another place for her classes and so I-Ju is the only one still going to the French school where we were once classmates. I had forgotten how hard it is to understand French with a Japanese accent. I-Ju speaks a bit of English so if we really can’t understand each other, we can revert to English, but we try not to do that. It was pretty funny as we tried to understand the Chinese menu written in French. I thought the food was pretty good but they didn’t think it was all that great.

We left the restaurant and were planning to take a picture near the fountain (Hiroko is Japanese – remember!). A man came up to us and asked in English if we would pose with him in the picture that his friend was taking. After we complied, I quickly handed my camera to the stranger and had a shot taken of the four of us. I have no idea who the strange man is. He did say that he was from Bosnia/Herzegovina.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Site Counter
Free Web Counter