Tuesday, July 26, 2005

to Paris for the day

We didn't question why we had to go to the French consolate in Geneva to get our French visa and we haven't yet adopted the French way of questioning everything, so when we were told that we would have to travel to Paris to get our physical exam, we obediently set off for Paris. The company made the train reservations for today and so we made the trip. It was on the TGV, the super-fast train that takes only 2 hours to get to Paris. I don't know how fast it travels but, every now and then, the train parallels the highway and we pass cars like they are standing still. It was a beautiful drive through the center of France. I've not seen the country in the other seasons but I can't imagine that it can be more stunning than it is in the summer. Some fields were harvested and were golden with bales of hay scattered about the land. The fields of sunflowers were in full bloom and were a beautiful bright yellow. In some places, we saw neatly rowed vineyards scattered along the hillsides. And there were many, many bright green fields of corn. Cows and sheep were everywhere and the villages were quite distinctive with their terra cotta buildings and red tiled roofs. As we approached Paris, it was dissappointing to see so much graffiti.

The company arranged for a chauffer to drive us for the day. We got off the train and I wondered how we would know who was picking us up. Is it like in America where they hold up signs with your name on them? Should we try to act American just in case we didn't look American? I was thinking this when I saw a smartly dressed man in a suit holding the company logo. (These French have so much class!) He took us to the car - a big Renault (didn't know they made them that big) with a fine leather interior. It was pretty cool. The driver dropped us off at the building where we were to get our physical. We opened the outside door and we both had a rush of memories from when we were in Geneva and got scolded for walking in the door without permission - so we stopped dead in our tracks and looked at each other with panic. We decided that we would just stand and observe others before making any moves. There was a buzzer and the all-too-familiar intercom.... what would we say? what should we do? Just then, a group of Germans walked up. They sized us up and then abruptly waltzed into the door. Aha, I thought... here comes the scolding! But non.... they walked up to the desk, presented their papers, and went to the next station. Hmmm.... ok, so we will do the same. Bingo. We got in.

As we were sitting and waiting for the next thing to happen, a German guy asked Paul if he spoke English. He didn't get the joke when Paul said, in French, that he could only speak a little English. The guy apologized for cutting in front of us. (A true German.... no apologies from a Frenchman).

When it was my turn... they began the basic medical routine.... pee in the cup, weigh, measure, give blood, take a chest-xray. No problem. But then came the EYE test! I didn't bring my glasses. Oh no.... I will be deported for sure. When I had to cover one eye, I peeked through my fingers..... I think I passed. They sent me on to the next step - an interview. I was asked all kinds of questions about my health then another scare..... did I bring my immunization record?
What? The one from my childhood?? Are they serious?? I had my third grade report card, my high school diploma, my Rice University Intermediate French certificate.... and they wanted my immunization records? Oh dear... I will have to return home. But then I told her that all my shots were current. That I had taken them all. I'm really OK. She let me slide.

At the end of this process, I was given my chest x-rays to keep, and a letter stating:
Remplit les conditions sanitaires pour etre autorisee a resider en France.
That means I can stay.

So Paul and I set out to expore Paris, chest x-rays in hand. We ate, had coffee and dessert and then headed back home. I snapped this shot in the train station.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Site Counter
Free Web Counter